Our friend Coley II’s (C2’s) migration has been much slower over the last week since he arrived in the USA, but today’s good southerly and southwesterly winds will be very good for him. In fact this morning at 10 am (our last data point), he was just beginning to take advantage of those winds after what appears to be a good breakfast.
Yesterday, at about 3:30, he’d made it to Clarksville, Virginia — just north of the Virginia/North Carolina border about 80 miles southwest of Richmond. Only 350 miles to go until C2 joins his mate on Yellow Bar Hassock in Jamaica Bay.
The mate arrived on or around March 18th, according to Jamaica Bay Guardian Don Riepe who observed her on the 18th. Normally Osprey pairs arrive within a few days of one another. Since C2 is at least 2 days away from reaching home, the earliest that he can arrive there is more than two weeks after his mate. As I’ve mentioned before, Ospreys usually pair for life, but the longer the interval between arrival of mated birds, the more likely it is that an unmated bird will step in. If that happens, a struggle will likely follow and there is no guarantee what the outcome will be. Get home fast C2!
Here are some details from the last few days:
Day 14 – March 29th – From Norway, South Carolina to north of the South Carolina border. A short day of less than 120 miles.
Day 15 – March 30th – Another short day of under 60 miles with major bad weather holding him up. Not much you can do when winds are against and it is raining horizontally! He ended the day about 40 miles southwest of Raleigh, NC.
Day 16 – March 31st – This was the day that I expected C2 to arrive home, based on his departure from Lake Valencia on March 16th. But who would have expected the heavy rains and even snow that hit the East Coast. C2 made it to Virginia today, after a difficult late start, but as the weather improved after noon, he was able to get in 100 miles today. He is now on a course to the northeast. If he continues this trajectory, it will take him straight home to Jamaica Bay.
My guess is that C2 will be home tomorrow afternoon or Thursday morning sometime. Weather in the Northeast was gorgeous today. Perfect conditions for migration.
C2 and Dr. Bob signing off.