Last night, April 3rd, Coley II (C2) had only made it to northeastern Maryland about 9 miles west of Havre De Grace at the mouth of the Susquehanna River. This means he has about 150 miles to go before reaching Jamaica Bay. Under good conditions, that would be an easy day of migration for him, but I just checked the weather from Philadelphia to Jamaica Bay and it is chilly and overcast with some rain and winds from the E and NE at 10 to 20 mph — not a particularly good forecast for a bird that needs to fly to the Northeast. Most of today, C2 will be flying into a headwind or winds hitting him at a 45-degree angle.
So the question is: Will he make it home today? I give him a 50/50 chance of arriving before dark this evening. If not this evening, I would almost guarantee that he will be home tomorrow.
The tension is mounting on the home front as C2’s mate is being courted by another male. Each day this happens makes it that much harder for C2 to regain his position as owner of his nest and partner of his mate. Not a great position to be in!
Here are some details of his last two days of migration:
Day 17 – April 1st – Our last reading at 5 pm in my last report had C2 in northern Virginia just inside the I-495 Beltway around Washington, DC. He did continue flying for another 2 hours reaching just west of Laurel, Maryland. It was a great day of flying for him — over 185 miles.
Day 18 – April 2nd – Rather than heading northeast, C2 headed almost due east taking a short hop of 16 miles over to the Severn River about 9 miles northwest of Annapolis. Apparently he needed some R&R as he arrived there around 9 am and did not leave until around noon on April 3rd. Weather was reasonable so FOOD must have been the key reason for the delay.
Day 19 – April 3rd – A late start reaching only another 40 miles north to the location west of Havre De Grace in northeastern Maryland.
To be continued…!
C2 and Dr. Bob signing off.